Friday, December 04, 2009

Peace

"In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

The apostles were troubled. They did not understand. Their Master was going away, to a place they could not yet follow, and this did not fit their ideas.

"You believe in God, believe also in me."

Jesus told them to believe in Him, trust Him.

"I go to prepare a place for you."

They had reason to believe in Him. They had seen. They loved, and were beloved. But they were prevented from understanding by the darkness of their own preconceived notions.

"Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how canst we know the way?"

They were troubled, they were afraid. Their Messiah was not behaving in the way they had expected. Though peace stood before them, they had not peace. Though good will worked for their good, they had not comfort.

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."

He loved them so.

"Peace I leave with you, my peace give I unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

They were troubled, they were afraid. He understood.

"Because I have said these things to you, sorrow hath filled your heart... I have yet many things to say unto you, but you cannot bear them now."

Oh, the ache of a heart that wisely loves and is resisted!

Confusion came, and shame, and mockery. Betrayal. But then, in spite of all the efforts of men to obtain their destructive ideas of peace-- to kill off the disruptive influence and keep the power position-- the world was turned upside down. They were accepted in the beloved. They had a near kinsman, they were redeemed. And yet, still astonished, still disbelieving, still requiring proof. And still he loved them, because they were his.

"Follow me."

Peace.

(Scripture taken from the Gospel of John.)

No comments: