Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Christmas Memory: Ornaments

When I was a kid, my grandparents gave each of us grandkids a new ornament every year. As we grew, the round ornaments on our tree became fewer (we dropped a couple every year) and the novelty ornaments became more plentiful, until mine and my brother's ornaments were the bulk of what we put on the tree.

When I got married, I got to take all my ornaments. My mom purchased new to fill in the gaps.

My grandparents continued the tradition up until the last year or so, and my parents also started giving us ornaments each year. When the kids came, my parents and grandparents began giving them ornaments, too.

We have a lot of Christmas ornaments.

A couple of years ago I splurged on special ornament boxes, one for each of the kids(Mr. Honey and I share one). I marked the kids' ornaments with their special codes (one dot for Aravis, two for Mariel and three for Cornflower) and let them box up their ornaments in their ownty-donty boxes. They will get to take these with them when they leave home, so I am careful to mark ornaments as they receive them.

No comments: