Friday, May 23, 2008

Hold On

I loved this post at Wittingshire. Here is my favorite part:

We live and die in a broken world, its shattered fragments reflecting the beauty and glory and rightness of what once was and someday again will be--but only reflecting, and in its brokenness often distorting our perceptions. As people who live among the shards we can't assume that everything we see is what it seems.


A quote from Galileo that I found in one of Triss' books for next year:

"Whatever the course of our lives, we should receive them as the highest gift from the hand of God, in which equally reposed the power to do nothing whatever for us. Indeed, we should accept misfortune not only in thanks, but in infinite gratitude to Providence, which by such means detaches us from an excessive love for Earthly things and elevates our minds to the celestial and divine."


And here is the Apostle Paul speaking to Timothy:

"I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I've committed unto Him against that day."


When I read the quotes over, they don't fall together the way they did as I came in contact with them one by one. Somehow, they sit in the same little mind-bin for me. I am too tired to figure out why. But, oh, they give such an assurance! This world is not my home. It is beautiful, and yet grotesque, and things are not as they seem.

We watched "Babe: Pig in the City" tonight, and it had such a dark, surreal quality. At one point we questioned whether it was good for the children to be watching it. But then, at the darkest moment, when we stared and Mariel cried and the little dog just lay there-- Mr. Honey said, "Oh, no. Don't worry! This just proves that the ending is going to be even happier." And it was.

Don't worry. Hold on. The ending is going to be even happier.

No comments: