Monday, November 17, 2008

Unsearchable, Unquenchable

One of my favorite scenes in Pilgrim's Progress is one in which a fire, representing the work of grace in the heart, burns in a hearth while the evil one tries to quench it with water. Behind the wall, the Lord is feeding the fire with the oil of His grace, making it burn higher and hotter.

Christian asks why the Lord is hiding behind the wall, and Interpreter replies, "This is to teach thee, That it is hard for the Tempted to see how this Work of Grace is maintained in the soul."

I don't know about anyone else, but I qualify as tempted pretty much daily. And it comforts me to remember that the Lord works in my life, and in my children’s lives, even though I may not see it. All kinds of glory may be occurring unseen.

Especially during those hard days, give the Lord the benefit of believing it is happening-- because His riches are unsearchable. There is no bottom to the spring of His goodness toward us.

1 comment:

G.L.H. said...

Thank you so much for sharing--I really need this today!

--Barbara