Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Scratch Thy Noble Nose

It is Exam Week at our house. I want to share Mariel's response to a question I based on one of Lindafay's exam questions on her blog. She comes up with the best questions. If I am really stuck for an interesting and creative way to ask one, I turn to her blog first. This question truly inspired Mariel:

You are a playwright like Shakespeare. Write a short scene that might have been in Love’s Labours Lost. Make sure the character names and the setting are listed at the beginning of your page.

(I left everything exactly as she wrote it.)

PF………………………Princess of France
DF………………………Duke Ferdinand
1L………………………First Lord
2L………………………Second Lord
3L………………………Third Lord


setting: in a castle garden


Enter DF

DF: Shall I thus look to a woman, for love? for a safe home? Nay! I shall have only have a man’s presence in this house of mine.

Enter 1L, 2L and 3L

1L: How now, my gracious Duke? Thou art sweeter than the honey thou puts on thy cornbread.

DF: Has the great and beautiful Princess arrived?

2L: Yea, Sire! doth not her foot tread upon the threshold?

3L: My nose doth itch.

DF: Scratch thy noble nose.

Enter PF

DF: (Going to her side) Ah! Thou art the honey for my cornbread, the sugar for my tea. Thou makest the stars dim, and the fawn un-spotty! The dog’s soft paw, compared to thy hair, is as hard as the brick that thou treads upon. Thy eyes, are they not the most shiny thing I hast ever seen? Thy fingers art delicate, yet so strong. Thou art—


PF: I can not listen all day to idle flattery, thou! Get thou a servant to show me to my room.

Exit PF

3L: Thou know, I believe that the princess has ceased to love thee, thou noblest Duke.

Exit all,


(Just fyi: This is the same child who said yesterday that she only delights in books when she doesn't have to write a narration.)

(And another fyi: Lindafay is nominated for three different awards in the 2008 Homeschool Blog Awards contest. As another commenter to her blog stated, Lindafay deserves all the recognition she gets. If you haven't voted yet, go over and vote!)

No comments: