Monday, November 10, 2008

Try

I feel so inadequate to pray for my kids. Donna-Jean pointed out this beautiful blog on which is a challenge to pray seven prayers per day for seven days over your children. I'm going to try.

I'm going to try, but I think I will fall down because seven focused, dedicated prayer times in one day is a lot for me. I'm really good at "arrow" prayers (a phrase that is also from Donna-Jean, thanks, friend!), but really focused, dedicated prayers probably happen between one and three times per day for me. Sometimes not at all. I realize this is my own fault. But things just get so busy.

So because I already feel overwhelmed by the challenge, I'm going to make it my goal to say all seven prayers at some point in the next week, and to continue them after the week is over. Not saying all of them in one day necessarily (am I accepting myself as inevitable?), but making sure they are all said for all three girls. That's really twenty-one prayers, you know. Seven times three. Twenty-One. Times seven days, is One Hundred Forty-Seven. Right?

See, it's a lot of focused, dedicated praying. But mothers work wonders once they are convinced wonders are required of them, right?

Wait-- maybe the message is that I mustn't depend on my own "try". The Lord resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

Oh, great. I'm depending on my own "try". That's it.

When I depend on myself in piano, I play the wrong notes. When I depend on my own self as a parent, I scold.

But, as Triss pointed out to me, heaven helps those who help themselves. She mentioned how hard it is to see the line between prideful pushing and just getting yourself going so the Lord knows you know you are serious.

So I am going to try. Because, like I said, I feel so inadequate to pray for my kids. Lord help me.

No comments: