Sunday, July 20, 2008

Magnificat

My soul doth magnify the Lord,
My spirit doth rejoice
In God, my Savior and my God;
I hear His joyful voice!
I need not go abroad for joys,
I have a feast at home;
My sighs are turned into songs,
The Comforter is come!

Down from above, the blessed Dove
Is come into my breast,
Witness of God's eternal love;
This is my heav'nly feast.
This makes me, "Abba, Father," cry,
With confidence of soul;
This makes me cry, "my Lord, my God,"
And that without control.

There is a stream which issues forth
From God's eternal throne
And from the Lamb, a living stream,
Clear as a crystal stone.
This stream doth water Paradise;
It makes the angels sing;
One cordial drop revives my heart,
Thence all my joys do spring.

Such joys as these, unspeakable
And full of glory, too,
Such hidden manna, hidden pearls,
As worldlings do not know,
Eye hath not seen, nor ear hath heard;
From fancy 'tis concealed,
What Thou, Lord, hast laid up for Thine,
And has to me revealed.

I see Thy face, I hear Thy voice,
And taste Thy sweetest love;
My soul doth leap, but O, for wings,
The wings of Noah's dove!
Then would I fly far hence away,
And leave this world of sin;
Then would my Lord put forth His hand,
And kindly take me in.

Then would my soul with angels feast
On joys that ever last,
Refined, full, and always sweet,
Delighting to the taste.
Blest be my God, the God of joys,
Who gives me here a crumb,
And fills my soul with earnest hope,
Till I arrive at home.

--Author Unknown

1 comment:

R. L. Vaughn said...

I was recently searching for the author of this hymn and found it was written by John Mason in 1683 (except the last 4 lines, which were added at some later date). I thought you might be interested in this. Have a blessed day.