Saturday, July 26, 2008

Lemonade Stand




Mariel came to me after lunch today and asked if she could have a lemonade stand in front of our house. After letting her know how much I thought she would make (less than $1), I finally said she could. The very excited girl went straight into the kitchen to make lemonade.

Her sisters got involved, too. I thought it was pretty hot to sit out on the driveway waiting for someone to stop, but it would keep them entertained for awhile.

They made almost $20. Score one more point for independence! (I really need to reserve judgment more than I do with the girls. I remind myself of the naysaying parents in The Carrot Seed.)

One lady gave them a $5 bill for one cup of lemonade, saying, "If you girls are going to sit out here in this heat, the least I can do is tip you well for it!"

About halfway through the sale I told the girls I was wrong. :O)

Their stand was very simple: a couple of boards laid across two old schoolroom chairs. Here is a more elaborate plan.

They made some new friends, too-- three little girls who just moved here from another town.

No comments: