Thursday, November 30, 2006

Masterly Inactivity

A few weeks ago my kids discovered that the digital clock in our van is five minutes slow. Now, if I were a normal mom I probably would have fixed the clock, which adjusts quite easily with a pen. But every time I remember the clock is slow, I am in such a hurry to get somewhere that I don't want to look for a pen. So it has stayed like that awhile.

A few weeks ago we were driving somewhere and I heard this exchange:

"Are you a bookkeeper?"

"No."

"Are you a storekeeper?"

"No."

"Are you a timekeeper?"

"Yes."

"Then tell me, what time is it?"

"9:33."

"Well, tell me what time it is in Japan?"

"11:33 pm."

"Whoa, that's late."

The clock said 9:28. The two older girls have invented a little math game. In order to win, you have to add five minutes to the time on the clock, and then when the person asks what time it is in another part of the world, you have to know enough about time zones to add or subtract hours.

And in the last few days, I have heard 6yo Cornflower sitting in the back seat murmuring things like, "It is now 10:17," when the clock say 10:12.

All that larnin' jest trickles down, don' it, young'uns? And without even a chicken.

No comments: