Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day


This post is actually about the night before Election Day. Last night we were privileged to attend a rally for Governor Perry of Texas, along with approximately 1500 other homeschoolers, and what I heard was around 18,000 people total. The President and First Lady of the United States flew in for an appearance, and President Bush gave a speech. It was loud, crowded and exciting!

'Make room for the press. Coming through!' 'Gold ticket holders, this way!' '(See that man, girls? Secret service.)' Mounted police, Mom!' ('I hope we make it in.') 'Will they let us keep our waters?' 'What do you mean, no books allowed inside?' 'Can we go out, Mom, while the music is going? It's so loud!' ('We want a sign!' 'Oh, good! Ours says We Love Laura!') 'Look, it's the president-- look, it's Mrs. Bush!' 'She looked up here, Mom!' 'Can I hold the sign?' 'I can't see! I can't see!' ('We have to go down there and shake his hand!' 'Honey, they won't let us get close to the President. We have to stay up here.') 'Sorry, sir. No one can go out of the arena until the President has left.'

We sat Behind The Podium. We got to see the President and Mrs. Bush.

On the way home, Triss said, "I feel happy and excited, and very, very small."

Me, too. What a big world we live in.

_______________________________________________________

And a hymn for Election Night:
Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know Who holds tomorrow
And I know Who holds my hand.

No comments: