Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Playing House

This weekend we got to visit in the home of a young couple from our church.  It was delightful.  I relished all the little loving touches I saw in their home. I kept thinking of the phrase "playing house" as I wandered through their little cottage.

I do not mean to imply that it is merely playing.  I'm sure my sister in Christ is keeping house in earnest.  She is an artistic and creative person as well as dutiful, and this comes out in her home decor.  I think play is a lovely thing to invoke when doing your duty, and something every true artist employs.

I felt inspired by her home.  It reminded me of a quote in Bird by Bird:

You can either set brick as a laborer or as an artist. You can make the work a chore, or you can have a good time. You can do it the way you used to clear the dinner dishes when you were thirteen, or you can do it as a Japanese person would perform a tea ceremony, with a level of concentration and care in which you can lose yourself, and so in which you can find yourself.

After almost twenty years of keeping house, I admit I am tired of it. I have lost the art of dabbling, puttering and playing as I go about my chores! It is possible (dare I say necessary?) to combine beauty and duty. As I said in this post:
I'd like to choose 'artist' in every job of my life. But I have to remind myself and consciously choose it every day, sometimes every hour, praying to the Lord for grace.
Lord, I ask that you remind me of my first years of keeping house, and help me keep that fresh perspective as I go about serving my family. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me, too!! Love, Mom