Saturday, January 03, 2009

On the Last Day Before the End of Christmas

(I'm counting Sunday as the first day of the new week, an energizing feast for the spirit and mind before getting back into the swing of things. So today is the last day of Christmas break. With apologies to people whose Christmas celebration extends well into January.)

I woke up this morning between 9 and 9:30, and it was so quiet. If the sun had not been shining through the blinds, I would have thought it was much earlier. I walked into the living room and found Mr. Honey and the kids being very, very quiet so I could sleep. There were legos scattered across the floor, and the children were absorbed in a game of oceans, penguins, horses, princes, castles and planes.

Mr. Honey was reading the news on his tablet PC. I got some coffee and sat down to read emails and such. There was evidence of pancake consumption on the table. I cleared a few dishes.

After awhile, I thought about taking down Christmas things, and then decided I would decorate a fridge poster instead. (Earlier in the week, I used two large pieces of scrapbook paper and our nice markers to write out two quotes I want to have before me in the new year. Our printer is not complying with the wishes of my laptop, so I had to handwrite them, and I wrote them large so I could have good penmanship.)

After making starlight on the poster, I took down the paper nativity the kids had gradually added to the refrigerator last month, being careful not to tear the paper dolls so they could use them later. We only lost one shepherd, and a few of the animals. Then I rearranged my two posters, as well as Mariel's, and the fridge was ready for the New Year. I contemplated the quotes on my posters, and thought that I should probably take a shower and get ready so I could get right on whatever tasks the Lord has for me today.

Breakfast seemed like a prerequisite, so I ate some pancakes with peanut butter and jelly, and decided against another cup of coffee. Mariel came into the kitchen and heated up cornmeal mush for her breakfast. She has a marked liking for hot grain cereals-- oatmeal, malt-o-meal, cornmeal mush, reheated rice. She isn't fond of quinoa or steel-cut oats, though.

As I ate, I saw the envelope containing a Clip-n-Mail for our local homeschool group's Science Night. I asked for a volunteer to put it in the mailbox at the end of our driveway.

Everyone was still in their pajamas.

Mariel volunteered, and started to go outside as she was. I protested that she couldn't go outside in jammies.

"But Mom, I made a goal to stay in my pajamas until noon today!"

What a goal. Lol.

She got dressed and took the envelope out for me.

The kids burst out with "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas". Mr. Honey caught me in the kitchen and pretended to be one of those cursor decorations that follow the cursor all over the screen (I being the cursor and he being the decoration), finally enfolding me in a great big bear hug, as we talked about how a website with cursor decorations is not worth visiting at all, but a similarly attracted Honey-decoration is most welcome.

He wandered back to the living room, humming "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" and grousing good-naturedly about how his children put these songs into his head.

I finished my pancakes and realized I needed to read my Daily Bible before the day got away from me. The kids sang, "Boom, Boom, Ain't It Great To Be Crazy". I filled a glass with water and sat down to read it aloud. Reading it aloud helps me to focus better.

The kids sang "George, George, George of the Jungle". Cornflower put "Meet the Robinsons" in the DVD player.

I updated my Bible-reading tally in the sidebar (for accountability, you know), and went to get ready for the day.

1 comment:

Aravis said...

Giant Lol. I was laughing my head off as I read this.