Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The way of the wicked He turneth upside down.

I tend to get irritated whenever I read the account of Rebekah and Jacob tricking Isaac into giving Jacob the blessing. The Lord said that the elder would serve the younger, and I am sure He would have fixed things in an aboveboard way if those two hadn't been so conniving.

(Isn't it easy to sit back and criticize? I have a very hard time waiting for the Lord's time on certain things, and cannot say for sure that I would have been any better than Rebekah.)

As I read this morning, I was struck with the way God keeps His promises, and continues His good work, even if the people He is using really mess up. The Lord had a bigger plan than one son being ahead of the other where power was concerned-- His purpose spanned further than any of these human beings could envision, and His will was done, and continues to be done. And how consistent He is! I might have decided that their ill behavior was a good reason for him to break his promises to Abraham and Isaac, but not the Lord. He continued faithful in His promises to make a great nation, and for Jacob to be the head of it.

The Lord is not handicapped or hindered by anyone's actions. He knows what He is doing, even when we cannot understand His purpose. He can and will work around and through the mess people make of things, continuing consistently toward His goals.

Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul.

While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.

Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:

Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever:

Which executeth judgment for the oppressed: which giveth food to the hungry. The LORD looseth the prisoners:

The LORD openeth the eyes of the blind: the LORD raiseth them that are bowed down: the LORD loveth the righteous:

The LORD preserveth the strangers; he relieveth the fatherless and widow: but the way of the wicked he turneth upside down.

The LORD shall reign for ever, even thy God, O Zion, unto all generations. Praise ye the LORD.

No comments: