Friday, December 19, 2008

More Twilight

Triss decided to go ahead and read the first Twilight novel after I gave my opinion of it. She inhaled it in one evening. Today she was comparing the Cullens to a rabbit-group in Watership Down, and she provided insight into my "there is a problem here" feeling.

The Cullens aren't like gods in the sense of Tolkien's elves-- they are not 'more human than humans', as C.S. Lewis might say. They are less human than humans. Despite their superior beauty, knowledge and talents, they have essential noble qualities missing. And this is not a good thing.

Triss said she would post on this at her blog, and I hope she does. I haven't read Watership Down, and now I need to in order to understand what she means when she says the Cullens are like the rabbits in Cowslip's Warren.

And can I just say how much I love this girl? She makes such good points! She is better read than I am-- despite my best efforts, I have not read every book in every Year she has studied-- and her insight is a blessing. She even said she didn't think the writing was great-- enigmatic, cryptic, definitely keeps you reading-- but not great. It is amazing to watch a young mind blossom.

(Oh, and Triss-- don't get a big head, girlfriend: there are still dishes to wash!! ;0)

No comments: