Friday, December 26, 2008

Menu 12/27 through 1/5

Updated 12/28 to add: When I went out, I decided not to drive the 15+ miles to Sprouts, so I looked for unadvertised meat deals close to home and ended up not purchasing chicken at all! I got beef (roast and stew meat) and pork chops that were on clearance at Kroger. So my menu plans will change a bit.

Tonight I used some of the Christmas leftovers to make a cheesy vegetable cream soup. I lightly sauteed the raw vegetables (broccoli, carrots, celery, green onions, pressed garlic), and left them out until just before serving, so they would stay crisp, and added mashed potatoes to thicken the soup. I used a little Velveeta and parmesan for the cheeses, which I wasn't sure would work out, but it tasted great.

Now I'm working on menus and a shopping list for the rest of Christmas break. We tried to take it easy on the meat for Christmas, since there were only seven of us eating, and as of this evening we have only enough meat left for a couple of sandwiches. Sprouts is having a nice sale on boneless chicken, so I will stock up on that.

I don't know why we didn't think to go easy on sweets for Christmas, though-- we still have cookies, candy, cake and pie in abundance!

Here is my recipe list:

1. Pasta and White Beans in Light Tomato Sauce (I'll use navy instead of cannellini beans)

2. Pollo Bianco (I'll probably cube the chicken and add extra spices)

3. Cream of Tomato Soup from the More-With-Less Cookbook, page 198, and toasted garlic bread

4. Leftover Sausage Ball Omelettes (I'm making this one up as I go-- and these are not left over from the CM book club party, in case you are wondering. I just made these this week for Christmas morning, and have popped them into the freezer until we want them again. ;o)

5. Pinto beans slow-cooked with a ham bone (Yum! Can't wait!) and cornbread

6. Enchiladas

7. Meat-Potato Quiche from the More-With-Less Cookbook p. 158

8. Hummus and crackers. We have two boxes of crackers and half a bag of chips left from Christmas.


Shopping List:

parmesan cheese (?)
eggs
chicken
frozen vegetables (3 lbs)
olive oil
tomato juice (16 ounces)
1 can enchilada sauce
cheese for enchiladas, and 1 cup for quiche

No comments: