Monday, April 02, 2007

Honesty

Some really wonderful quotes on honesty:

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult and left untried." --G.K. Chesterton

"I hope I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider that most enviable of all titles, the character of an 'Honest Man.'" --George Washington

"A little integrity is better than any career." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Nothing more completely baffles one who is full of trick and duplicity, than straightforward and simple integrity in another." --Charles Caleb Colton

"You cannot drive straight on a twisting lane." --Russian Proverb

And a very humbling thought:

"O Lord, thou hast searched me and known me.
Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising,
Thou understandest my thought afar off.
Thou compassest my path and my lying down,
And art acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo,
O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
Whither shall I go from thy spirit?
Or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
~~~
Search me, O God, and know my heart:
Try me, and know my thoughts:
And see if there be any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.


--Psalm 139:1-7, 23-24

No comments: