Sunday, March 25, 2007

I *Like* Being a Sonnet

I came back to find everyone becoming poetic forms, thanks to the lovely Mama Squirrel. I wanted to play, too.



I am the sonnet, never quickly thrilled;
Not prone to overstated gushing praise
Nor yet to seething rants and anger, filled
With overstretched opinions to rephrase;
But on the other hand, not fond of fools,
And thus, not fond of people, on the whole;
And holding to the sound and useful rules,
Not those that seek unjustified control.
I'm balanced, measured, sensible (at least,
I think I am, and usually I'm right);
And when more ostentatious types have ceased,
I'm still around, and doing, still, alright.
In short, I'm calm and rational and stable -
Or, well, I am, as much as I am able.

What Poetry Form Are You?



My secondary form was blank verse.



I am, of course, none other than blank verse.
I don't know where I'm going, yes, quite right;
And when I get there (if I ever do)
I might not recognise it. So? Your point?
Why should I have a destination set?
I'm relatively happy as I am,
And wouldn't want to be forever aimed
Towards some future path or special goal.
It's not to do with laziness, as such.
It's just that one the whole I'd rather not
Be bothered - so I drift contentedly;
An underrated way of life, I find.
What Poetry Form Are You?


Sounds a bit like Pooh Bear, I think. Oh, bother. Or, as my brother says, I was going to say "Oh, bother," but I'm not bothered!

2 comments:

Javamom said...

Your trip sounds great!! Welcome home, and I'm glad you had a safe drive. I am sorry for the sickness in the family, though.

On the poetry: I am a ballad. Yep.
Could have seen that one coming, BUT that the questions were quite random.

Javamom

Katie said...

I felt so surprised to like what I got. I am honored to be a sonnet. It is actually the poetic form I aspire to. I would love to master the writing of sonnets. Isn't that funny? What are the odds?

But I have to say, I do enjoy a good ballad.