Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Lord's Sense of Humor

Last Monday, as I contemplated deep thoughts about government, I got a speeding ticket.

Civil government exists to protect us, its citizens, from our enemies-- whether at home or abroad-- so that we can get down to the business of making something of ourselves.

Yes, I did! Isn't that funny? Funny to the tune of at least $100. Ha ha.

Ah, well. It was a good lesson for the children, and for me as well. I was driving down a frontage road where the speed limit is 45 mph, cheerily going thirteen mph over that. It was very easy to do because there is nothing out there but fields of sunflowers. No houses, no stores, no parking lots with cars feeding out onto the road. Why they have the speed set at 45 mph on that stretch when it is 50 mph just a block or two further on, I cannot say.

Listen to me try and justify myself.

Why do we have civil government, then? Because not enough of us have personal government; we do not govern our own selves well. This is the reason for crime and war.


I was definitely speeding. It was wrong, and I deserve the ticket. There.

I didn't even have a defense to offer the police officer because distracted driving is against the law in Texas. That law supposedly targets cell phones and texting and putting on makeup, but I am sure my explanation of, "Well, officer, I was pondering a civics lesson and reasoning through your existence and didn't realize I was over the limit," would not have gone over well. I kept my mouth shut and said, "Yes, sir," and "Thank you." I did have to ask him to slow down once, because he was running through his spiel so fast I couldn't understand his directions on how to take care of the ticket.

I would hate to have to be a traffic officer, wouldn't you?

So now I have to take defensive driving. I haven't had to do that since before my almost 14yodd was born. It will be good for me, especially since she will have to learn to drive in a couple years.

I'll let you know how it goes. And I stand by my words on government. Lol.

No comments: