Saturday, September 20, 2008

Advice to Newbies

A friend who is writing an article for new homeschoolers asked me this week if I had any wise advice to offer folks just beginning. Since any advice I give tends to be presented in a somewhat haphazard manner, and with a good deal more idealism than realism, I really hesitated. Here is what I finally sent to her:

First, pray without ceasing.

And begin with the end in mind. Never, ever, ever, lose sight of the goal. Make sure you know what you are aiming for, and then do not allow yourself to be tempted by the latest shiny thing. Be deliberate in your choices, remembering your purpose. If you are not sure if some activity or curriculum or method will fit your goal, then leave it out. The Lord will show you the way to go if you will lean on Him.

And yes, for me this falls under the heading of Alice, who "generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)..."

No comments: