Saturday, February 17, 2007

Books

I did not complete the reading challenge. I don't think I will participate in something like that again for awhile.

Here is my current personal reading, with my comments in italics:

Pursuit of Happyness (I will probably finish this book tonight. We saw the movie a few weeks ago and really liked it. This man's determination and focus was amazing. Will Smith is such a good actor. The book is very different from the movie. It goes into a lot more detail, and some of the details are not the same. It is not a book I would recommend to a young lady, as it has all kinds of extremely harsh and terrible realities in it, the stuff of nightmares, vividly told. He had a very tough childhood, and even his adulthood is hard to read about.)

Rob Roy (I am finding this a hard read. I have set it aside and only grab it back up to keep one chapter ahead of Triss, who is reading it for school.)

Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint... (I am not enjoying this one so much. I thought the writing on his early life was not interesting. I find this sometimes with biographies-- they begin more like lists than literature. I am up to his marriage and move to South America. The best parts of the book are the excerpts from his letters and articles. He seems to have had a way with words. I think I would enjoy a book of his journals, letters and articles more than this biography.

In Six Days: Why Fifty Scientists Choose To Believe in Creation(This is a book filled with stand alone essays by different scientists. It is incredible reading, but unfortunately I do not comprehend the science of a lot of what they say.)

I read Thimble Summer all in one night around a week ago. I had never read it, but Triss and Mariel have. It was a breath of fresh air. I think I need an Elizabeth Enright/Lois Lenski/Eleanor Estes break from all the serious reading I have been doing lately.

I'm off to raid Mariel's bookshelves.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I tried to read Jungle Pilot a couple of years ago and felt the same way. I don't think I ended up finishing it.

Katie said...

Thanks, Mamalion. I feel better then. I thought it was going to be a really exciting book. It has been sitting on my nightstand for several weeks without me picking it up.