Sunday, January 14, 2007

Pressing On, and Giving Endeavor a Holiday

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb. --Sir Winston Churchill

This reminds me of one of Mr. Honey's favorite Bible quotes:


Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. --Philippians 3:13-14


Sir Winston Churchill doubtless had an ever-fruitful, progressive climb, and the Apostle Paul had enough strength of will to put his shoulder to it and soldier on-- "[enduring] hardness, as a good soldier of Christ." In contrast, I bumble and bounce back and forth, attempting good and even achieving it sometimes, then slipping and sliding down the path of pride, selfishness and ease-- feeling, like the March girls, that Endeavor deserves a holiday and giving it a good many. I do pray for the strength of character these two men exhibited, but most of all I pray that the Lord will keep Himself before my eyes and never let me forget the glorious love He has for me, and how small I am compared to Him, how much bigger are His purposes and how all-encompassing His view.

No comments: