Friday, January 05, 2007

Gathering Up The Fragments

Each chapter in the More With Less Cookbook has a section called Gathering Up The Fragments, based on Jesus' words after he had fed the multitude with five barley loaves and two fishes: "Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost." (John 6:12) These sections consist of ideas for leftovers. Last week, Mariel and I realized there were several bags of "mystery flour" in the freezer-- things I had bought in bulk at the health food store and not labelled properly. I figured when I bought them that I would remember what they were since I bake so much, but I have grown increasingly dependent on convenience foods in the last few months. In the spirit of gathering fragments, we combined the freezer flours into one big bag and are now using the mixture in our pancake and waffle recipes.

(This is something we decided to do before I realized I was stockpiling flours. I was just trying to clean out the freezer after Christmas. But it does fit well with the Year of Abundance.)

No comments: