Monday, June 27, 2011

Grace, and the Ferris Buellers of the World

This morning one of my Twitter people (Tweeps?) pointed out a blog post dealing with family worship, and, thinking it would be about family-integrated worship, I headed over to read it. It is really about family at-home worship, though. I guess I should pay closer attention when I read tweets. I'm glad I read it, though, because the author makes a very good point about legalism in general. In the paragraph entitled, "Family Worship Isn't Required by the Bible", Jerry Owen says:

...I know my point here will be used by [lazy parents] to justify and continue their laziness [in not reading the Bible with their kids]. This is what gracious biblical standards always do, and in response legalists try to curb sin by adding rules.


Actual godly standards always allow freedom to obey, and some people take advantage of that to rationalize ungodly behavior. Then come along other people who get frustrated that their fellows are not toeing the line, and, like the Pharisees of Jesus' time, they add "fences" to the standards.

I resemble that remark. I tend to want to play Big Sister to the Ferris Buellers of the world, if you know what I mean. So, here you go, Katie. You were not placed on the earth to make sure everyone else gets it right. You weren't even placed here to gripe about people who aren't getting it right. You were placed here to glorify God yourself. Period.

No comments: