Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Ramblings

I would like to officially stop kidding myself that I understand what I am reading. Can I just say for the sake of confession that I have no clue? I have been reading up on astronomy and physics, India and philosophy until I don't know what to do with myself. Between Albert Einstein, _Kim_ by Rudyard Kipling, Karl Marx and logical fallacies (of equivocation, no less), I am ready to acknowledge that what I truly know probably extends to about that of a bright high school sophomore. (Hopefully my wisdom and life experience extend a little further.) I am learning along with my sixth grader. I can do nothing less. I don't remember a lot of this stuff from the first time. I say, "I don't know," a lot lately, go rushing for the computer to look things up, shake my head and say things like, "Here's what it says. I'm not really sure what to make of it. We need another book."

_Kim_ is by far the most difficult book we are reading this term (unless you count Triss' debate textbook, which I suppose we should). Sometimes I want to throw it at the wall, and other times I am charmed by the humor and adventure. I am surprised how much Triss is comprehending. I will stop in the middle of a chapter and ask her to narrate, thinking she most likely missed the subtle nuance of this spy being that guy and all of them proceeding in company together; which group is fighting which; and who those five kings are. She gives me a look and accurately narrates the plot. It makes my head hurt when I am not laughing at Kim's antics.

Really, I would like to go back to the days of the Little House and Charlotte's Web. Okay, maybe not that far back, but the Moffats and Little Women would be nice. Actually, I have an interesting juxtaposition in that I am educating three girls at three very different reading stages, and so am constantly switching between picture books and easy chapter books, youth chapter books and then Triss' chapter books which I need Cliff's Notes on. No wonder I am addlepated.

We went to the fancy new library yesterday. (Note to self: never go to the library on a school day before beginning schoolwork. It encourages bad attitudes about schoolwork in both teacher and children.) It is three stories tall, and the children have a floor all to themselves. The teen books, however, are downstairs in a soundproofed room. There is a reason for this. We went to the teen section to find the Paul Fleisher science books we need for Year 6. By the time we left I could not think.

They were playing rock music in the library. Loudly. What would Marion say?

All was not ill, however. I got to visit with the children's librarian about purchasing new books, and it seems our library is currently "in funds." She encouraged me to send her a list of books I would like to have the library purchase. They have a budget for homeschoolers and are currently motivated to provide resources and programs. Exciting! I told her I had a long list of books I could send her and she gave me her email address. Bwa-ha-ha-ha. I wonder if I should organize it alphabetically or according to genre?

1 comment:

Karen G. said...

Wow, what an opportunity!

BTW, the thing with the kids' books just gets worse. My 16yo has read Don Quixote (800+ pages) and Les Miserables (1100+ pages) and I haven't even cracked the spines. To say nothing of John Adams' biography, Arguing About Slavery, and a biography of Queen Victoria. I just can't keep up anymore. So my kids will be better educated than I am. It's a good thing, really. I still have to help with spelling and punctuation!