Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Back Safe, Home Again

We made a short trip to Missouri last week. It was refreshing and relaxing, although we missed Mr. Honey, who had to stay home and work. We got home Sunday evening around 10:30 and leaped into regular schoolwork yesterday morning, as we had speech and debate commitments yesterday afternoon.

I have a lot I want to post about the trip. We got to go to the Laura Ingalls Wilder home on Rocky Ridge in Mansfield, Missouri; and we were also blessed to visit the George Washington Carver National Monument on our way home. Missouri is beautiful, both the city and the country. We saw trees and hills and even prairie. We stayed part of the time with friends who live in the heart of Springfield, and the rest of our time on the farm of friends in southeastern Missouri. There is good shopping too. Our friends in Springfield took us to one of the flea markets they frequently buy old books from, and I made some wonderful purchases.

I'm pretty scattered now, and I will be posting soon, but right now we are unpacking, doing laundry, reinstituting routines, and trying to do all with cheerful hearts, which is sometimes a struggle after a fun trip. So here is my favorite George Washington Carver quote and I will post more later:

"There is no short cut to achievement. Life requires thorough preparation-- veneer isn't worth anything."

I wonder if he knew or read Charlotte Mason?

No comments: