Monday, April 05, 2010

Hope, Healing, Celebration

The children got new narration notebooks in their Easter baskets yesterday. I spent a little extra and got them Green Room spiral notebooks.

They liked it. They were pleased as Punch with their new pocket journals and three Ticonderogas apiece as well.

(They got other, non-school-related items too, don't worry.)

This is my latest effort to encourage beauty of presentation as well as beautiful, truthful ideas in their written narrations.

Aravis and Mariel decided to inscribe scriptures in Elvish on the first pages of their journals:

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer. --Psalm 19:14

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. --Philippians 4:13


My penny-pinching instinct caused me to hesitate as I thought of purchasing these extra-special notebooks just for schoolwork-- this is why I gave them as gifts-- but sometimes we just need that little boost to help propel us into good habits. We'll see how it helps. I did notice that more attention was given to penmanship today.

What does the title have to do with the post? Lately I have been thinking about my role as mother being one of hope, healing and celebration: moms offer hope, provide healing, and celebrate the good. When we experience failure, I tend to focus on the negative. But now is not forever, it can usually be fixed or relearned properly, and regardless of what may have just happened, we have a lot of blessings.

Pretty new narration journals help us remember to celebrate.

1 comment:

Angi @ Peakmore Academy said...

i had to smile with the gifting of new notebooks. Just yesterday I treated my soon-to-be-13year old daughter to a lovely new 3-ring binder that was decorated with the Eiffel Tower and all things French. It is perfect to keep her French notes in. She's been teaching herself French for the last while and due to her focus and drive to learn (i have not an ounce of French knowledge in me) I thought she deserved the pretty binder. She was delighted! Anyway, just wanted to give you a thumbs up and tell you I totally get it.