Thursday, February 18, 2010

Balance and Rest

The idea of a false balance being an abomination to the Lord has been running through my head lately. A just weight is His delight. I think a lot about balance. I have trouble balancing my life and my thinking, actually. A balance might be more than just a scale for measuring gold or produce.

A just weight and balance are the Lord's. All the weights of the bag are His work.

I want my life weighed in the Lord's balance, and I want His expert hand determining the weights. I want to stop trying to balance myself by adding a little escapism here, pressing a little harder there. I want to quit my attempts to balance in my own strength, which indeed is small.

Weigh me, Lord. Add and take away. Help me to surrender and accept what You have for me. Allow me to witness Your delight as you balance the lessons I must learn with Your gracious presence. Draw me to the mercy seat, lead me to Your rest.

References: Proverbs 11:1, 16:11

2 comments:

Randall said...

Our life can be out of balance if we focus too much on ourselves and not enough on others. That's been my problem lately.

Good post! :)

G.L.H. said...

Wow. I never, never connected the "balance" of the Bible with balance in our lives. I know what I'll be studying this week. Thank you so much for sharing!

--Barbara