Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Lists

I have a love-hate relationship with lists. And it's not a healthy relationship.

I am either a slave to my lists or in rebellion against them. It has been rebellion for Quite Some Time, except where the kids' schooling and a few absolutely necessary adult-responsibility items are concerned. But the tide is beginning to turn in favor of The Lists again. And since they are slave drivers and I the slave, I am afraid. I don't want to turn back into the woman who is constantly rehearsing her lists in her head or referring to them every five minutes so she doesn't leave anything out. I want to have time for hugs and checking out the butterfly that just landed on the screen-- without adding them to the list.

I agree with my friend Queen Shenaynay, that lists are a good tool. How to tame them and keep them in their place? Plan your work and work your plan, Mr. Honey says. I think in addition, I will work on my flexibility, adaptability and discern-ability.

No comments: