Tuesday, August 16, 2011

This Year's School Subject Priorities

Every year I ask the Warrior Poet to rate school subjects in order of importance (1 being most important, 10 being least). Here are his ratings for the 2011-2012 school year:

1. Bible
2. Math
3. History
4. Science
5. English
6. Civics
7. Geography
8. Fine Arts
9. Homemaking
10. Physical Education

The ratings change year-to-year. Here is the list from 2010-2011:

1. Bible
2. History
3. Civics
4. English
5. Science
6. Math
7. Geography
8. Fine Arts
9. Homemaking
10. Physical Education

...and I don't have the 2009-2010 in front of me, but if I remember correctly, it went like this:

1. Bible
2. Math
3. English
4. Science
5. History
6. Civics
7. Geography
8. Homemaking
9. Fine Arts
10. Physical Education

I keep bucking for a higher homemaking rating, but it always falls pretty low on the list, perhaps because it just isn't what we think of nowadays when considering school subjects.

The WP and I are somewhat like Jack Sprat and his wife where these lists are concerned. He enjoys rating things on a scale of one to ten, and the lists are invaluable for me as I decide whether to invest more time or money in this or that learning area.

No comments: