Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

This morning I read about the week of 9/11 in President G.W. Bush's book, Decision Points. Reading how the events unfolded for the President and his staff brings back the horror and uncertainty of that time.

Many, many people (both in and out of uniform) gave their lives or had their lives taken from them that day. I have never experienced personal tragic loss of that magnitude, so I cannot quite comprehend the pride and grief that must fight in their loved one's hearts. But I can remember them and others who died serving their fellow man.

(I do not mean to imply that Memorial Day is for honoring any and all dead. A FB friend respectfully reminded me this day is for people who died in the service of our country.)

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.


--Moina Michael

No comments: