Saturday, January 08, 2011

A Taste of the Warrior Poet's Offerings

My dear husband wrote this poem as a Christmas present for me, and since today I am alternately throwing him under the bus and praising him to high heaven, I thought I would share it. This poem makes me embarrassed, but here goes:

The Pedestal Is For Your Gray Matter

The sunrise comes and sunset goes
Tides always have their ebbs & flows
It is tough to quantify how much it grows
Or predicting how much the spring wind blows

Perpetually featured, predominantly
Is the feature you use so brilliantly
I marvel at times how preponderantly
Your mind is used intelligently

It may sound odd but it’s very true
When I compare our brains it makes me blue
Some may question this union of two
But at least I was smart enough to marry you

So just to finally set the record straight
I enjoy all the thoughts that you create
You’ve never been a Petruchio’s Kate
Or one who might too easily capitulate

I will admit to you in all actuality
I revel in its fine functionality
Proud you’ve never needed to alter reality
Thankful you tolerate my abnormality

Fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly
Girls need chocolate and guys need pie
One thing is certain and I can’t deny:
I will love your big brain ‘til the day I die

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this poem!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

katie,
An evidence of your "big brain" is you had the good sense to marry a guy who appreciates smart gals. Bravo Brad!

Dad

Katie said...

I think one of the best things I ever did was to marry Bradley! He does a great job putting up with me. :)

rachaelnz said...

What a beautiful poem!