Monday, January 28, 2008

The Poetry Recitation Collective

This is Cornflower's current recitation assignment. She chose it herself. At first she said she would memorize only the first two stanzas, but once she got started, she couldn't stop herself.

We had fun with her poem one evening this week at supper. When she wanted to recite it to Daddy, but couldn’t remember all the words, the rest of us chimed in to help and realized that we have all memorized it-- but only if we are all together to prompt one another. We must be The Poetry Recitation Collective, lol!

Little Boy kneels at the foot of the bed,
Droops on the little hands little gold head.
Hush! Hush! Whisper who dares!
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.

God bless Mummy. I know that's right.
Wasn't it fun in the bath tonight?
The cold's so cold, and the hot's so hot.
Oh! God bless Daddy - I quite forgot.

If I open my fingers a little bit more,
I can see Nanny's dressing gown on the door.
It's a beautiful blue, but it hasn't a hood.
Oh! God bless Nanny and make her good.

Mine has a hood and if I lie in bed,
And put the hood right over my head,
And I shut my eyes, and I curl up small,
And nobody knows that I'm there at all.

Oh! Thank you God, for a lovely day.
And what was the other I had to say?
I said "Bless Daddy," so what can it be?
Oh! Now I remember. God bless Me.

Little boy kneels at the foot of the bed,
Droops on the little hands little gold head,
Hush! Hush! Whisper who dares!
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.

"Vespers" by A.A. Milne

No comments: