Monday, July 27, 2009

Italian Style Pasta Toss

We currently have much company and many plans (in fact, at this moment I should be ushering my crew out the door for Ye Next Thynge) but someone asked for this nice summer salad recipe, so I thought I would post it. You almost can't ruin this recipe-- I change things and leave stuff out depending on what I do and don't have. The cheese and salami or pepperoni are musts, though.

7 ounces corkscrew pasta or tortellini
1 1/2 cups cubed Swiss or provolone cheese
6 ounces sliced salami (I use pepperoni)
1 cup cauliflower flowerets, thinly sliced (I use broccoli)
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper
1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1/2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup snipped parsley (I use dry and just sprinkle it like salt until it looks right)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tspns dried basil
1 tspn dried oregano
1/2 tspn pepper
2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges

1. Cook pasta, drain, rinse and drain
2. In a large bowl, toss pasta, cubed cheese, salami, cauliflower, zucchini, green or red pepper, onion, olives, Parmesan and parsley.
3. (Leave out tomatoes)
4. Make dressing in a screw top jar: combine oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, oregano and pepper; cover and shake well. Pour over salad and toss salad.
5. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours Add tomatoes just before serving and toss gently.

6 main dish servings
From the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, Tenth Ring-Bound Edition

No comments: