Saturday, November 24, 2012

I'd Rather Have Jesus

I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold,
I'd rather be His than have riches untold,
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands,
I'd rather be led by his nail-pierced hand--
I've been thinking lately about "Jesus and..."  Am I like that?  Do I need a value-added Savior in order to be content?
I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause,
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than worldwide fame,
I'd rather be true to His holy name--
The list above contains earthly things, but I could make a spiritual list... Jesus and a commercial-free Christmas, Jesus and like-minded friends, Jesus and a loving family.  Is Jesus enough if I am forced to live in a world that rejects Him?  I know He is, but do I believe it?
He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom,
He's sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He's all that my hungering spirit needs,
I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead--
I have many of these other things, but am I willing to lose them and still worship Christ?

Christ is enough.  I believe it.  I haven't had much testing, though.  I pray that, whatever the future holds, the Lord will teach me that His grace is sufficient.

(Lyrics from "I'd Rather Have Jesus", written by Rhea F. Miller, 1894-1966.)

No comments: