Friday, January 19, 2007

Masterly Inactivity for the Younger Set

So six-year-old Cornflower picked up the Mad Libs this afternoon because she likes to feel as big as her sisters. She began shooting me questions: "Mom, plural noun! Adjective!" (Reading has just begun to make sense to her in the last couple of months and it is still a novelty.) I played one game with her and then said I couldn't participate anymore. So she meandered around the house trying to figure out the different parts of speech. Mariel, who was supposed to be doing a copywork assignment, tried to help by singing grammar songs. Then Cornflower asked the meaning of plural. I explained how when you add 's' a noun becomes more than one.

Her eyes lit up and she said, "You mean every time I want to say 'more than one plant' I add an 's'?"

"Yes," I said.

"Every time I want to have more than one anything I add 's'?"

"Well, most of the time."

So now she is wandering all over the house making things plural. Hee hee. I just love this homeschooling gig.

No comments: