Sunday, July 26, 2015

Of Prisoners and Porcupines

There is a poem I've been thinking about a lot the past couple months. I first saw it on Glennon Melton's Momastery blog. I don't agree with everything Glennon says, but I love her spirit and honesty and just her way of embracing people no matter what. We need more of that.  We need to be like that.  Anyway, here's the poem:

The small man
Builds cages
For everyone
He
Knows.
While the sage
Who has to duck his head
When the moon is low
Keeps dropping keys all night long
For the
Beautiful
Rowdy
Prisoners. 
-Hafiz

I love the beautiful rowdy prisoners. I am the beautiful rowdy prisoners!  I need keys to get out of my prisons, and I find them in grace.  With scripture and prayer and meditation, and the beautiful moving of the Holy Spirit, I am able to position myself to take the blows of this world, to stay open and soft and love others while still respecting myself as a child of the King.

But I am a work in progress. Aren't we all?  This week, a friend told me of a sermon he once heard by a very able minister of the Lord, who said the following, and this is a paraphrase of what my friend said the minister said:

Think of people as crazy dancing porcupines with "as-is" tags and big egos. Church people. This includes each of us. There is no such thing as a perfect church. And if you find one, don't join it, because you'll ruin it.
We each have our prisons, and our prickly quills, and our egos. I am a porcupine and I am a prisoner. God bless the beautiful rowdy prisoners and the earnest, egotistical porcupines.  We take it in turns to be one or the other, you know. God bless us all!

Thank the Lord we are not in charge of the universe, or even our tiny corner of it.
Thank the Lord He only gave us the responsibility to serve Him and enjoy Him forever.

Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say, rejoice!

No comments: